- When does Windows 7 go EOL/End of Life - Support?
Product Family: Control Systems
Product: Show Control System, DSTI, Venus Control Suite, Digital Media Players
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate and Professional will be designated end-of-life on January 14, 2020.
- Some computers in your Daktronics control system may utilize this operating system, such as Show Control, DSTI, Sports Wire and Venus-P computers. These computers will continue to function exactly as they do today even after 1/14/2020.
Beginning sometime in April 2019, you may notice a Microsoft courtesy reminder window on these affected computers explaining that Windows 7 is going end-of-life. Microsoft has announced that the reminder will only happen a few times during 2019 and there will be a “do not notify me again” checkbox that will suppress any future messages.
What Does End of Life/Support mean?
- This means that Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or updates. Without security updates, the system may be more vulnerable to viruses, spyware or other malicious software. Microsoft will continue to support Windows 7, and update through patches until 1/14/2020.
Daktronics Digital Media Players are not impacted by this announcement.
- DMP-7000 systems utilize Windows 7 Ultimate Embedded and the OS does not go end-of-life until 9/30/2021.
- DMP-8000 systems utilize Windows 7 Embedded Standard and the OS does not go end-of-life until 7/27/2021.
Daktronics has been shipping Windows 10 based control computers and digital media players for a while. All current Daktronics control system computers for sale today come with Windows 10.
If you are interested in a review of your existing control system and information on replacement equipment, you can contact your regional applications engineer or email