Data Studio: How do I configure data splitting for my Venus feeds?
- data splitting or data trimming in Data Studio within Venus Control Suite (VCS)
- Product: Venus Professional, Venus Enterprise
- Components: Data Studio, Venus Professional, Venus Enterprise
- Control System: Venus Cloud-Based, Venus Local
This feature works best for Point of Sale (POS), conference rooms or other display networks that want to filter data sources per location.
A data source contains data for all the locations, but the splitting feature allows users to show the data for a particular location on their display. This allows users save time by creating a single piece of content that can be played at all locations. Note, splitting data sources will not work for every source. Consult Professional Services for details.
- Determine your Data Source. A url/ web file works best for this. This should be a JSON or XML file generated by the customer's event software. The file describes the different locations for the data split. For large digital media networks, this might file might describe the break outs for conference rooms and concourse monitors. Other applications could be divided up by courts or stores.
- Add a Data Source. For general information, see- Data Studio: How do I configure web data sources?
- Click Add Data Source.
- Choose web.
- Configure Data Source.
- Name: Add the name.
- Address: Add the address of the file.
- Refresh Interval:
- For Daktronics hosted systems, the refresh can be set to 1 or 20 minutes depending on the permissions.
- For locally hosted or on-prem systems, the refresh interval is recommended to be at .25 minutes or less.
- Format: The format will be auto selected once the address is added.
See example below:
- Trim the data source to the specific data to be used. See: Data Studio: How do I configure data trimming
- Split the Data feed by selecting Data Feed Splitting.
- Select the item that will split up the data. This could be room, store, court, etc. Multiple items can be selected, but one is recommended to begin with. An example would be room_name. See below:
- Select Done.
- Verify the Data Splitting Configuration. Click on the pencil icon to edit if needed.
Feed Name: In the Web Editor, users will see both the split and full feed. It is a best practice to be sure this feed name is clearly labeled as split. The example below has a Feed Name of Room Data - Split.
- Select Split Data.
- Save changes to the Data Source.
- Map the values to the displays by selecting Display Mapping.
- Click on Display Mapping. A single value can go to multiple displays.
- Select Value- In this example, a specific room name was selected.
- Select Display(s)- Select a display to associate with that value. In this example, the displays in the meeting room were selected. Once a display is selected, it cannont be selected again.
- Add additional mappings by clicking on the +.
- Select Done.
- Create content for the displays - Open Web Editor
- Create a new presentation.
- Choose the presentation size.
- Navigate to the Data Tab.
- Locate the configured data source for data splitting.
- Select and drag the desired data elements onto the layout.
- Add any other details to complete the presentation.
Schedule the content to play on the displays.
KB ID: DD4707759
DISCLAIMER: Use of this content may void the equipment warranty, please read the disclaimer prior to performing any service of the equipment.
DAKTRONICS DOES NOT PROMISE THAT THE CONTENT PROVIDED HEREIN IS ERROR-FREE OR THAT ANY DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT YOUR USE OF THE CONTENT WILL PROVIDE SPECIFIC RESULTS. THE CONTENT IS DELIVERED ON AN "AS-IS" AND "AS-AVAILABLE" BASIS. ALL INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS ARTICLE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. DAKTRONICS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTIES OF ACCURACY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. DAKTRONICS DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR THE ACTS, OMISSIONS AND CONDUCT OF YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTIES IN CONNECTION WITH OR RELATED TO YOUR USE OF THE CONTENT. ADJUSTMENT, REPAIR, OR SERVICE OF THE EQUIPMENT BY ANYONE OTHER THAN DAKTRONICS OR ITS AUTHORIZED REPAIR AGENTS MAY VOID THE EQUIPMENT WARRANTY. YOU ASSUME TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR USE OF THE CONTENT AND ANY LINKED CONTENT. YOUR SOLE REMEDY AGAINST DAKTRONICS FOR DISSATISFACTION WITH THE CONTENT IS TO STOP USING THE CONTENT. THIS LIMITATION OF RELIEF IS A PART OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN THE PARTIES.
The above disclaimer applies to any property damage, equipment failure, liability, infringement, or personal injury claim arising out of or in any way related to your use or application of the content, whether such claim is for breach of contract, tort, negligence or any other cause of action.