How to use the timeline in Content Studio
- How do I enable the Content Studio timeline?
- How to I create content with the Content Studio's timeline?
- How do I add animations to my elements in Content Studio's timeline?
- Product: Content Studio
- Components: Timeline
- Control System: Venus Control Suite, Venus 1500 V4, Show Control
Step 1: Enable the Timeline plugin.
Step 2: View elements on the timeline
Add elements: (See links below for examples.)
Elements will populate as you add to the presentation.
- In the timeline tab at the bottom, a new element has been added. This red element below represents the image that's been placed on the canvas.
- The grey bar labeled Layout represents the entire length of the layout. This example has a layout length of 10 seconds.
- As elements are added, they will populate on the timeline. All elements can be individually edited using the timeline application, or by selecting them on the canvas in Content Studio.
For an explanation of the colors used on the timeline, see: What can be seen from the Timeline view in Content Studio
Step 3: Edit the Timeline Elements
Timings and transitions are the most common editing tools that are used on the timeline. There are also several functions that can aid in visibility when editing.
Changing the timing of elements
Elements within a layout can be controlled so that certain items display at certain times.
- Hover over the end cap of the highlighted element bar until a double arrowed icon appears.
- Once this happens, click and drag the element to the specified time using the timing chart at the top of the timeline. Elements within a layout can be equal to or have less hold time than the total layout time.
- Also, if a certain element is at a shorter time than the presentation as a whole, the element can be moved so that it enters and exits the layout at a specified time.
Note: A good rule is to hold text and graphic elements for 4-8 seconds.
- To select multiple element lines from a timeline, hold down the Ctrl key on the key board, and click on the elements you wish to multi-select. The element line will brighten to indicate it is selected.
For more, see: How do I adjust the hold time or duration of layouts in Content Studio?
Edit the Element Transitions
- Highlight the element that you wish to transition. Click on the Effects tabs. Select from one of the Element Effects. A green bar will populate in front of the element on the Timeline. This represents the time it will take to fully transition the element in.
It is best to keep the transitions consistent for multiple elements, and it is advised to keep the transitions less than 1 second.
For more, see: How do I add transitions to a layout in Content Studio
Step 4: Utilize Layout Storyboard Functions
- The timeline applications allow for two functions that aid in editing.
- The eye function on the inside left of the element is a feature that indicates an element is visible while editing in Content Studio. When the eye is closed, it is not visible while editing. This can be helpful when working with overlaying layers in a presentation. Clicking on the eye icon closes and opens visibility only within Content Studio; the element will still be visible when played to the display, whether the eye icon is closed or open.
- The lock feature helps the user keep items in place as they edit. The outside left has the ability to lock the element in place. It will not move on the display or in the timeline. Clicking on the lock icon will lock and release elements
Related ResourcesHow do I create a Venus 1500 v4 message/presentation in Content Studio?
KB ID: DD3085422
DISCLAIMER: Use of this content may void the equipment warranty, please read the disclaimer prior to performing any service of the equipment.
DAKTRONICS DOES NOT PROMISE THAT THE CONTENT PROVIDED HEREIN IS ERROR-FREE OR THAT ANY DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT YOUR USE OF THE CONTENT WILL PROVIDE SPECIFIC RESULTS. THE CONTENT IS DELIVERED ON AN "AS-IS" AND "AS-AVAILABLE" BASIS. ALL INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS ARTICLE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. DAKTRONICS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTIES OF ACCURACY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. DAKTRONICS DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL LIABILITY FOR THE ACTS, OMISSIONS AND CONDUCT OF YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTIES IN CONNECTION WITH OR RELATED TO YOUR USE OF THE CONTENT. ADJUSTMENT, REPAIR, OR SERVICE OF THE EQUIPMENT BY ANYONE OTHER THAN DAKTRONICS OR ITS AUTHORIZED REPAIR AGENTS MAY VOID THE EQUIPMENT WARRANTY. YOU ASSUME TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR USE OF THE CONTENT AND ANY LINKED CONTENT. YOUR SOLE REMEDY AGAINST DAKTRONICS FOR DISSATISFACTION WITH THE CONTENT IS TO STOP USING THE CONTENT. THIS LIMITATION OF RELIEF IS A PART OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN THE PARTIES.
The above disclaimer applies to any property damage, equipment failure, liability, infringement, or personal injury claim arising out of or in any way related to your use or application of the content, whether such claim is for breach of contract, tort, negligence or any other cause of action.