- Receiving error when trying to restore a database backup to a new or different computer.
- An Error occurred with the SQL Server. The media family on device 'PC Path' is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
- Product Family: Software
- Component: Microsoft SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2014
- Control System: Venus 1500 v4, Show Control
- SQL Databases are not backwards compatible.
- You can take a copy of a database using SQL Server 2005, and bring it forward and restore it on a SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2014.
'Computer A was a brand new install of 4.22.3 with Server 2014. The user needs to replace Computer A with a different computer, Computer B. They install a previous version of 4.17 or earlier to Computer B, from an old disk, which has SQL Server 2005. There was a Database backup created from Computer A.
By doing this and installing a older version of 4.17 or earlier to Computer B, it installed SQL Server 2005. Updating software to 4.18 or greater, does not update or change the SQL Server. They cannot take the database from Computer A that was using an SQL Server 2014 and put it on Computer B using a SQL Server 2005, even if they are the same Venus 1500 software version after updates.
- Uninstall older SQL Server version.
- Update to the latest supported SQL version.