Artist's Rendering Provided by the University of Rhode Island
University of Rhode Island to Enhance Game-Day and Event Experiences at the Ryan Center with Daktronics LED Video and Ribbon Displays
BROOKINGS, S.D. – June 23, 2014 – As the University of Rhode Island men's and women's basketball teams open the 2014-15 season at the Thomas M. Ryan Center this fall, student-athletes, fans and opponents will experience a new game-day atmosphere with brand new integrated display systems. The new technology, which is currently being installed, includes new main and auxiliary LED video boards as well as an LED ribbon wrap throughout the arena bowl, designed and manufactured by Daktronics Inc. (NASDAQ-DAKT) of Brookings, South Dakota, the world's leading provider of full-color LED video displays.
"We are excited to continue our partnership with Daktronics, as our goal is to continually enhance our fan experience here at the Ryan Center for not only basketball games, but all concerts, shows and community events that we host," said Leah Becki, General Manager of the Ryan Center, a Global Spectrum managed facility at the University of Rhode Island. "The new LED video boards and ribbon board are another significant step forward on the heels of the new LED lights that were installed prior to last season, to provide the very best experience for each patron that attends events at the Ryan Center. It also creates opportunities for our multimedia rights holder, Rhody Sports Properties of Learfield Sports to generate additional sponsorship revenue."
Main Video Board Specs
* Dimensions are approximately 17 feet high x 38 feet wide
* 10 millimeter line spacing - nearly tripling the area for digital display as compared to the current board
* Capability to be divided into separate windows to show a variety of graphics and animations, statistics, game information, and sponsor messages
* Will serve as the main scoreboard for URI basketball games
Auxiliary Video Board Specs
* Dimensions are approximately 8 feet high by 20 feet wide
* 15 millimeter line spacing
* It will be located at the north end of the arena replacing the current auxiliary video board
Ribbon Wrap Specs
* Dimensions for the ribbon wrap are more than 2 feet high by more than 590 feet in length (320 degree coverage)
* Ribbon wrap stretches along the fascia of the seating area in the arena and replaces the current static backlit technology
* Along with the new video boards, will provide excellent image clarity and contrast to provide high quality imagery to every seat in the arena, dramatically improving the capabilities of in-game sponsorship and fan experience elements for URI basketball this Fall
"We are so excited about the new technology upgrade to the Ryan Center. The Ryan Center is truly one of the best basketball playing facilities in the country," said Thorr Bjorn, Director of Athletics at the University of Rhode Island. "The University continues to provide enhancements to the facility, including last year's purchase of a new floor, baskets and lighting system. The addition of ribbon wrap and new scoreboards will provide an incredible opportunity to better the fan experience as well as provide additional revenue opportunities."
The university will utilize the Daktronics Show Control System with this installation. This industry-leading system provides a combination of display control software, world-class video processing, data integration and playback hardware that forms a user-friendly production solution. For more information on Show Control, visit www.daktronics.com/show.
"We're excited to partner with the University of Rhode Island on this state-of-the-art technological upgrade to the Ryan Center," said Dave D'Amico, Daktronics Northeast and Canada Sales Representative. "The game-day enhancements provided by this video display system and control solution will bring Rams fans to their feet and help provide a huge home court advantage for the university. We look forward to seeing the system in action when the team takes the court this fall."
Daktronics LED video and messaging display technology offers a long lifetime with minimal maintenance and low power consumption, providing value and excitement for years to come.
For more information on the University of Rhode Island, visit www.uri.edu. For more information on URI Athletics, the Ryan Center or Boss Ice Arena visit GoRhody.com, www.theryancenter.com, or www.bossicearena.com. For more information on our multimedia rights holder, Rhody Sports Properties of Learfield Sports visit http://learfieldsports.com/university-partners/rhody-sports-properties/.